Preliminary Task
Safe-Zone X
I think that there has definitely been some huge improvements between my preliminary task and my final opening sequence.
Firstly I think that the filming that I did in Safe-Zone X is a lot better than the filming that I did in my preliminary task and that can be seen straight away as the quality of my preliminary was not very good but the filming that was done on our opening was a lot crisper and the camera wasn't as disjointed as it was in the preliminary because we used tripods and other techniques to make the camera steadier.
Secondly I think that the script that we wrote for Safe-Zone X was a big improvement compared to what was said in the preliminary because on our filming day we made sure that the actors followed exactly what we wanted to do and we re-shot any footage that we weren't happy with to make sure that our opening footage sounded good and that our actors facial expressions and tone was correct to emphasise what they were saying. Whereas in my preliminary I didn't take much thought into how the actors were saying things and what their facial expressions were like and therefore that's why in most of the shots the actors are smiling because I didn't tell them what they had to look like. I also think that the opening sequence is better because we wrote an actual script that the actors could easily read whereas in the preliminary it was spontaneous speech for most of the scene.
Thirdly I think that we did a lot better on our storyboard, this is because our storyboarding for the opening were in high detail with shots and timings and speech set out for each shot whereas when I first did a storyboard I didn't include any of the important bits of detail that was needed like what types of shots I could use and the timings for each frame of the opening scene. I think we also improved because when we did our prelims we didn't write out a shot list to help us when we were filming but instead had to make it up as we went along, whereas for Safe-Zone X we wrote out an official shot list that we could easily follow on the filming day and we also put reasons for each shot with emphasis of what was happening so that we could achieve the best shot that we could. I also think that we did really well on our character profiles for our opening as well because we went into lots of detail to make sure that we definitely knew what the characters were going to be like instead of like the prelim where we just let the actors be how they wanted to.
I think that another thing that I definitely improved on was my editing skills. Firstly in my prelim there was very rough editing throughout because it was the first time that I had done any editing at all whereas when we came round to editing Safe-Zone X we were really prepared and we knew how we wanted to do all of the shots, one of the first big improvements which I learnt to do was the match on action, I think that in our opening my match on action shots are much crisper and flow a lot smoother than they do in the prelim because I took extra care on them to make sure they were to a high quality. I also made sure that the match on action was in the proper place as well because in my prelim you could see that I didn't match things very well because I didn't get the actor to walk in the same place and therefore she jumps around the screen a bit which makes it look really unprofessional. I also think that the transitions between shots has improved because they are cut properly so that everything flows and works well together and creates tension through longer shots or emphasis with the different shot types, whereas in my prelim I didn't really think about the flow of the film and therefore I left some clips on for longer than they should have been which is really obvious. I think that we did really well with our editing of the typography and the effects on the footage as well, for example using the colour scale tool to make the film darker to suggest a more solemn mood throughout our opening and to make it a darker film because its more of a horror film, the colour match also helped us in the different shots where we had different lighting types due to the weather and so we managed to edit out the high key lighting and replace it with low key lighting to give extra emphasis. Which is in complete contrast to the prelim which had no adjustments to the film because I didn't know how to do it so through the different lessons I learnt how to add the extra effects so that our film would be better.
In terms of sound I think that the quality has improved so much over the course of our lessons, this is firstly because we used a better camera when we filmed our final product to make sure that it was high quality and we also made sure that we used sound effects from the internet to help build tension throughout the piece as well. I also learnt the importance of copyright and royalty free music and the importance of using them in our pieces to make sure that we didn't get any copyright claims, we also learnt about different sites which do royalty free music such as Bensound and YouTube if you search for them correctly. This was a big step up from the prelim which just used the sound from the camera as I didn't know how to use sound files and how to convert them into the right media so that you could add them to iMovie.
In general, I think that there has definitely been some major improvements throughout the lessons between the prelim and our final product, we have managed to create something that we are proud of and that we think is to a good quality instead of being rushed and simplistic so that it was finished.
No comments:
Post a Comment